, , ,

Yesterday I ran my first race of the year, the Glencoe Ice Breaker 10km. This is one of the first races you can run in the new year since the snow here tends to stick around until April, making for less than ideal racing conditions. Last year I ran the Ice Breaker and woke up to about half a foot of fresh snow. The race was awful with people slipping all over the place, so this year the first thing I did was check out side for snow and all was clear! phew. The temperature was perfect for running at a mild 3 degrees celcius and completely dry pavement.

Race time was 9am so I set my alarm for 7:15 and had my usual pre-race breakfast of oatmeal BUT I’m still doing my Paleo Challenge so I made a bowl of Oatless Oats instead. I think I’m one of the few people who likes to eat a lot before a race. Let’s be honest, I just eat a lot always.
1/4 cup ground walnuts & pecans
2 tbsp ground flax
1/4 egg whites
1/8 cup almond milk
– mix and heat in microwave for 1 and a half minutes

add in
1 mashed banana
1 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp cinnamon

The race start was a 5 min drive away so we left at 8:20 and were warming up by 8:30. The warm up before a race always flies by for me and before we knew it, it was time to head to the start line.

The start was a mass start since the race was small with only 600 participants, so I had a great starting position and started strong. My mum volunteered this year and was calling out times at the 1-mile out marker so I had pre-planned that I would pace myself at a 7:30 minute-mile. I came around the corner and heard her yelling 6 minutes and 30 seconds….ummm yikes. Way too fast!! I slowed down my pace a bit, bit my tongue as people passed, telling myself there is no point in burning out after 2 kms. The rest of the race felt great and I paced myself really well.

At the 5km point I hit a time of 22:30 which was right on track for my goal of 45-46 minutes. I started to fade around the 8km marker but saw my mum again at the 1-mile left point and she let me know that I was running strong and was at a time of 38:30 so far. That was exactly what I needed so I picked up the pace a tiny bit.

The best part was that not only did my mum volunteer, but so did my sister and dad and they were running the finish line. When I was within 20 meters-ish I could see them (and Bill since he already finished) cheering me on and I sprinted to the finish line with every ounce of energy I had left.


Final clock time: 45:12

My favorite part about this race is the brunch they serve afterwards and the great draw prizes. I chowed down and even snagged a draw prize of organic shower products. Not bad. Next year the prize of a bike is mine. I can smell it…jk


About these ads